Sunday 20 Jan 2019, 3pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Philharmonia Box Office : 020 7921 3907
Martyn Brabbins conductor
Laurent Ben Slimane bass clarinet
Elgar Introduction and Allegro
Geoffrey Gordon Prometheus, Concerto for Bass Clarinet and Orchestra
Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Britten The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
Three English works frame a new concerto for bass clarinet inspired by Greek legend.
Instantly popular since its premiere in 1946, The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra introduces the instruments of the orchestra one by one with a spritely tune. Martyn Brabbins conducts two English classics for string orchestra: Elgar's lively Introduction and Allegro and Vaughan Williams' Romantic masterpiece, the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.
In between, hear the premiere of a new bass clarinet concerto inspired by Ancient Greek legend from American composer and winner of the Aaron Copland Award, Geoffrey Gordon. His infectious style combines an ear for melody with a “zest for sonic experimentation” (New York Times).
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Prices: £58 (premium); £45; £36; £28; £19; £12
- Discounts: Subscription discounts available; under-18s and concessions discounts available; £8 tickets for students via Student Pulse one month before the concert (limited availability)
- Running time: 115 minutes, including 20-minute interval
- Please note: This performances starts at 3pm
- After the concert: FREE Music of Today concert, 8pm, Purcell Room
- Download programme notes: Sunday 20 Jan 2019
This concert is part of the Sunday Matinees series