Sunday 31 Mar 2019, 7.30pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Philharmonia Box Office : 020 7921 3907
Xian Zhang conductor
Alina Pogostkina violin
Brahms Violin Concerto
Shostakovich Symphony No. 5
Rising-star conductor Xian Zhang leads a performance of Shostakovich’s towering Fifth Symphony, alongside Brahms’s radiant Violin Concerto.
The possible hidden meanings within Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony, composed under political pressure from Stalin’s regime, have long fascinated audiences and critics alike. Along the way, expect a beautiful melody evoking Carmen, circus-inspired spectacle, and majestic brass chords. But beyond the Soviet heroism lies something more: framed by the musical drama lies the hushed religious contemplation of the third movement, the tender heart of the symphony that moved the audience to tears at its 1937 premiere.
Before, Alina Pogostkina, winner of the 2005 International Sibelius Violin Competition, performs Brahms’s memorable Violin Concerto. Framed by two virtuosic outer movements, the gentle second movement features one of the most heartfelt melodies written for violin.
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Prices: £58 (premium); £45; £36; £28; £19; £12
- Discounts: Subscription discounts available; under-18s and concessions discounts available; £8 tickets for students via Student Pulse one month before the concert (limited availability)
- Running time: 130 minutes, including 20-minute interval
- Before the concert: FREE Philharmonia Chamber Players concert, 6pm, Royal Festival Hall
- Download programme notes: Sunday 31 Mar 2019
This concert is part of the Spotlight on Strings series
This concert is sponsored by