Friday 5 Jun 2020, 7pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Philharmonia Box Office : 020 7921 3907
Ludwig Wicki conductor
Eleanor Grant soprano
Yared The English Patient
Philharmonia at the Movies brings to life Anthony Minghella's multi-award winning romantic blockbuster starring Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe and Kristin Scott Thomas.
Music is at the centre of this passionate story set evocatively in the Sahara Desert and an Italian monastery. The mournful cor anglais melody of its opening, which features a biplane flying over the Sahara, returns to devastating emotional effect in the final scene. A stirring string theme is also at the heart of this tragedy of love, loss and war.
Gabriel Yared's score won an Academy Award (Best Dramatic Score), Golden Globe (Best Original Score), BAFTA Award (Best Film Music) and Grammy Award.
The English Patient Live is a production of Avex Classics International.
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Prices: £65 (premium); £48; £39; £28; £22; £15
- Discounts: Under-18s and concessions discounts available; discounted tickets for students via Student Pulse one month before the concert (limited availability)
- Running time: approximately 180 mins including interval
- Staging: This is a live film screening with orchestral accompaniment
- Please note: This concert does not qualify for subscription discounts; choir stalls are not on sale
- Age restriction: Please note this film has a 15 certificate, and under-15s will not be admitted
- Start time: Please note that this concert starts at 7pm
This concert is part of the Philharmonia at the Movies series