Esa-Pekka Salonen – conductor
Julia Bullock – soprano
Britten Les illuminations
American soprano Julia Bullock joins our Principal Conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen for two performances to a live audience at Snape Maltings in Suffolk.
At the heart of the programme is Britten’s Les Illuminations, a setting of nine poems by Rimbaud. Britten’s expressive writing for voice and strings, and Rimbaud’s vivid and fantastical texts, lure us into an unearthly, dreamlike world.
Salonen and Bullock’s performance of this piece with the San Francisco Symphony was acclaimed as “something of a revelation… a performance of magnificent expansiveness” (San Francisco Chronicle).
Strauss’ Metamorphosen follows, an instrospective elegy for twenty-three solo strings that alternates moments of deep sorrow with an earnest, almost obstinate search for hope.
Need to know
Prices & Discounts
3pm: Pay What You Can
Maximum of four tickets per booking – full details on the Book Now link above
This performance has no interval
Please be aware that counters at Snape Maltings remain closed and there’s a reduced number of staff working at the moment. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01728 687110 10am – 2pm daily
- Capacity has been reduced to 160 to allow for social distancing
- Performances have been shortened
- Face masks will be required (unless exempt as per Government guidelines)
- There will be no printed material distributed – no tickets, programmes, or programme notes
- Clear signs and helpful staff on-site
- Sanitising gel available
- Premises are cleaned regularly