Douglas Boyd – conductor
Katherine Broderick – soprano (Leonore)
Toby Spence – tenor (Florestan)
Beethoven Fidelio Listen
Follow the timeless story of one of opera’s most compelling heroines in Beethoven’s only opera in Garsington Opera’s welcome return to live performance following the UK’s coronavirus shutdown.
Fearless and determined, Leonore disguises herself as a young man, Fidelio, to rescue her imprisoned husband from the clutches of the evil aristocrat Pizarro. Along the way, expect love and subterfuge, all framed by Beethoven’s effortless ear for melody.
Starring Katherine Broderick as Leonore and Toby Spence as Florestan, this semi-staged production by Peter Mumford will feature members of the Philharmonia in a socially-distanced setting. With a specially-filmed backdrop and pre-recorded singing from the Garsington Opera Chorus integrated into the production combines Garsington’s artistic quality with appropriate safety measures for audience and performers alike.
Need to know
Please check the Garsington Opera website for more information.
Sung in German with English surtitles
- Capacity has been reduced to 190 audience members to allow for social distancing
- The open theatre provides a flow of fresh air
- One-way systems are in place
- Contactless tickets will be in use
- There will be toilet facilities and sanitising gel available
- Face masks will be required when not seated in the auditorium
This performance has no interval