Thursday 13 Jun 2019, 6pmRoyal Festival Hall, London
Titus Engel conductor
Martin Smolka Hats in the SkyUK premiere
Martin Smolka En tractantUK premiere
Live screenings of two silent era films are accompanied by new scores by Czech composer Martin Smolka.
Ahead of the Philharmonia's performance of Gottfried Huppertz's Metropolis at 7.30pm, Music of Today presents two surrealist silent films from the 1920s - Ghosts before Breakfast and Entr'acte - with music by Smolka that is humorous and playful, often asking orchestral instruments to play in unfamiliar ways.
For Smolka, these new works fulfil a 'supporting function that underlines the avant-garde richness of the films.'
ABOUT THIS PERFORMANCE
- Tickets: This concert is FREE and unticketed - just walk in
- Running time: 50 minutes, no interval
- Concert programme: Free programmes are available upon entry
- Drinks: You can take drinks from the bar into this evening's performance
- After the concert: Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts a live screening of Metropolis (1928), 7.30pm, Royal Festival Hall
This concert is part of the Music of Today series