Sunday 5 May 2019, 3pmThe Marlowe, Canterbury
Venue Box Office: 01227 787787
Kwamé Ryan conductor
Tim Steiner presenter
John Adams Short Ride in a Fast Machine
John Williams Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Hedwig's Theme
Holst The Planets: Jupiter (excerpt)
Holst The Planets: Mars (excerpt)
Saariaho Asteroid 4179: Toutatis
Steiner It Came from Outer Space
John Williams Star Wars, Suite: V. Throne Room & End Titles
Immerse yourself in great live music from out of this world.
Experience the thrill of a live orchestra in our friendly afternoon concert for all the family: take your seat inside the theatre, enjoy a drink whilst the Orchestra plays and get the chance to meet musicians after the show.
The concert begins with a performance of Short Ride In A Fast Machine, a dazzling piece by John Adams that gives every instrument of the orchestra a chance to shine – listen out for all your favourite instruments! Continuing our journey, we launch into space for music from one of the most iconic works for orchestra of all time: Holst’s mighty The Planets.
There is time for a musical adventure to J K Rowling’s Hogwarts as we hear the enchanting main theme to the Harry Potter films, before transporting you to a galaxy far, far, away, with music from John Williams’s epic score to Star Wars.
You might like to know:
- Tickets cost £20, £15 and £10 and can be booked online in just a few clicks
- The concert is a little over an hour long with no interval
- There’s no dress code – come as you are
- Suitable for children aged 5+
- This performance is the culmination of a six-week project in Leicester called The Virtual Orchestra that gives everyone the opportunity to experience a symphony orchestra up-close, no matter what your age or experience. Find out more.